This course will teach you to paint a competent portrait using the sight-size method, starting with a simple charcoal transfer drawing through to a finished study in oils. To maintain the highest quality teaching and results there are no more than four students per portrait model allowing each student to a achieve a sigh size portrait within the five day workshop.
About Luca Indraccolo
Born in Naples, Luca Indraccolo left Italy at the age of 19 to start his advertising career, ending up as a creative director for Saatchi & Saatchi London. His work led him to live in several countries, including Germany, England and USA, where he began his drawing training. Realising that fine art was his true calling, he moved first to Florence to pursue his academic training and then to London, where he is now based working as a painter. Luca also teaches on the full time course at the London Atelier of Representational Art.
The course will address:
- Applying a knowledge of anatomy to a portrait
- Understanding the proportions and planes of the head and using props such as the skeleton and skull to inform understanding and develop a deeper knowledge of the underlying structure of the form
- Using sight-size to capturing an accurate likeness of the sitter and bringing out the best in your model
- How to organise a complicated subject with a simple value range
- Assembling an appropriate palette of colour and mixing accurate colour values
- Paint handling and edge control
- Controlling focus within portrait painting and overall design
Each class is limited to eight students working from two models in sight-size. The workshop room is located within the main school of The London Atelier of Representational Art. Each model is lit with individual professional photographic lighting providing a steady, unchanging environment from which to observe all elements of portrait painting.
Materials are not provided for this course so please be aware you will need to bring them with you. Luca recommends working with the following colour palette for this course:
- Cremnitz/Flake/Lead White (basic lead carbonate in oil) This may be very hard to find, as a substitute we would recommend titanium containing a bit of zinc.
- Yellow Ochre
- Cadmium Yellow Light or Naples Yellow.
- Vermillion, Cadmium Red, or English Red
- Raw Umber – (optional)
- Cobalt Blue- Please we aware this can be expensive, even in the ‘cheaper’ brands.
- Ivory Black
Please note that specific materials are required for this course. You will receive a complete list on application.
The End Result
By working for six hours each day over the five day period each student leaves with a wonderfully observed portrait painting of the live model. Whatever your skill level, this 30 hour painting will give you an amazing understanding of the methods of a professional portrait artist, or allow you to develop your practice further under close instruction.
Teacher: Luca Indraccolo
Daily Timetable: 9:30am to 4:30pm (one hour lunch break)
Pose One: 22nd -26th April 2013
Pose Two: 10th – 14th June 2013
Max number of students: 8
All courses are subject to availability. LARA reserves the right to cancel any course. LARA will aim to provide enough prior notice in the event of a cancellation and all fees will be refunded.
Book your course here:
Fees must be paid in total to LARA in order to secure your place. No refunds are available. All courses are subject to availability. LARA reserves the right to cancel any course. In the event of a cancellation, all fees will be refunded in full.